Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The Ignorance of Pistol
Pistol's lack of french is quite apparent when reading through Act IV, Scene IV. He mistakes the french word moi for a unit of currency and makes feeble attempts to speak french; "Owy, cuppele gorge, permafoy..." This scene helps to reinforce the feeling of confusion in a battle between two peoples who speak different languages. It is interesting to note that Pistol's way of treating his french prisoner is surprisingly more merciful than Henry's; for while Pistol made threats, Henry really did kill his prisoners, all of them in fact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have addressed the question, but I'm not sure I would say Pistol 'is' more merciful. How about, 'most likely' or 'seems' more merciful? This is, after all, Shakespeare!
ReplyDeleteI like how you make Pistol look a fool, and I think an analogy nice to hear.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jake, Pistol seemed more merciful, but really that was only because his captive offered him money for his release.
ReplyDelete