Gibson: Pros: Firstly, it had Mel Gibson in it, that's a pretty big pro. I thought he was a better Hamlet. Secondly, the castle was way cooler, it was a proper castle, not a frilly palace. Thirdly, the Ophelia did a much better job being mad. And lastly, in the part where Gertrude and Hamlet were talking, it actually seemed like Hamlet was "speaking daggers" into Gertrude's ears.
Gibson: Cons: Firstly, and the biggest, the lines went through a blender, they were all out of order and they cut so much! To me, accuracy is big. Second, they left out Fortinbras entirely, who played a major part of the irony at the end of the play. Lastly, the Ghost was way less scary. When he said "SWEAR!", it was more of a "swear".
Branagh: Pros: Firstly, The accuracy was nearly perfect. The only thing they did was move the line order a bit for affect. Once again, accuracy is huge. Secondly, it was looong. I for one, like long movies, so to me, this is a pro. Lastly, the cinematography was amazing. That shot near the beginning, with Hamlet standing in the middle of the empty throne room was brilliant.
Branagh: Cons: Firstly, It was looong. to other people, this can be tiresome. Who wants to see a four hour movie? Secondly, I did not like this version's Hamlet as much as the Gibson version. That's it.
So, this is my opinion. The Gibson Hamlet was better for the more casual movie-watcher, but the Branagh version was much more practical for someone studying Hamlet, like me. That is why I liked the Branagh Hamlet better.
Nate, What a great essay you wrote to answer this question! You gave excellent reasons and I could tell you were really interested in the subject matter. You might think about not spending so much time on the pros of the one you don't like. Good jarb!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom